Just to give you an idea of activity going on in the United States and territories around the globe... This, a one week sampling of articles regarding film tax credits and film incentives searched via google, and it's not nearly everything, especially outside the US.
I rummage through for the more meaningful articles to post here, but chasing film incentives news, I can't keep up. I thought about compiling weekly links such as this, to all stories related, no way I can keep up though. And to be honest, this coverage is probably better suited in VFX Soldier's arena anyway. I attempt to keep things more focused on news more directly impacting our VFX industry's health.
Alas, I'm doing it just this once, from this past week, and I even through in a couple articles from the last two days, but as you can see, it seems every state in the nation is clamoring for opportunities to lure filmmakers to their regions in hopes of their own celebrity "Hollywood" status, jobs, and economic stimulus, most often at the taxpayers expense. This is nothing new, it's been going on for years now, maybe it's normal, I can't say, but I find the level of activity eye opening.
- California: Entourage film among record applications for California tax credits (kftv.com) - June 10, 2013
- Connecticut: Tax Credits Cut For Movie Industry (courant.com) - June 10, 2013
- North Dakota: TR in N.D. could be a fine family film (bismarcktribune.com) - June 10, 2013
- Hawaii: New Hawaii law raises tax credits for filmmakers to encourage movie industry (therepublic.com) - June 10, 2013
- Oaklahoma: An incentive worth granting (normantranscript.com) - June 10, 2013
- UK: London is stealing a win over Hollywood (telegraph.co.uk) - June 11, 2013
- Louisiana: SADOW: The Leges Failed Big-Time On Fixing The Film Tax Credit (thehayride.com) - June 11, 2013
- Michigan: Film Incentives: The $50 Million Sequel (michigancapitolconfidential.com) - June 11, 2013
- Iowa: “Produce Iowa” looks to rebuild Iowa movie industry (wqad.com) - June 11, 2013
- Ohio: Columbus struggling to lure major films for location shooting (dispatch.com) - June 12, 2013
- Montana: Offers cash grants to lure more movie, TV shoots (latimes.com) - June 12, 2013
- Washington DC: How to turn Washington into a Hollywood town (washingtonpost.com) - June 12, 2013
- Iowa: MAKING MOVIES: ‘Produce Iowa’ Forges Ahead (whotv.com) - June 12, 2013
- Pennsylvania: Film tax credit is a raw deal for taxpayers (triblive.com) - June 12, 2013
- North Carolina: Film boosters fight to retain NC tax credit (wral.com) - June 12, 2013
- Nevada: Mayor hopes movie tax credits shine spotlight on Las Vegas (lasvegassun.com) - June 12, 2013
- Nevada: Hollywood Hits the Jackpot in Nevada (lasvegas.cbslocal.com) - June 12, 2013
- Texas: Texas lawmakers ready incentives to entice film crews (austin.ynn.com) - June 12, 2013
- Prague: Tax breaks lure the top players in Hollywood (praguepost) - June 12, 2013
- Ontario, Quebec reject B.C. overture on film-industry support (theglobeandmail.com) - June 13, 2013
- Maine: Bill would woo movie, TV production companies with tax break (pressherald.com) - June 13, 2013
- U.K. Toon Biz Upbeat Thanks to Tax Credit Boost (variety.com) - June 13, 2013
- Montana: A River of Cash Runs Through It (bizjournals.com) - June 13, 2013
- BC's Finance Minister pushing for a unified tax credit system for the film industry (cknw.com) - June 15, 2013
- Michigan: still reeling out cash incentives (hispanicbusiness.com) - June 15, 2013
- Hawaii: Lights. Cameras. Action! Talk Story with Film Commissioner Art Umezu (thegardenisland.com) - June 16, 2013
- New York: Bill hikes film credits for region (timesunion.com) - June 16, 2013
- Lithuania: Parliament Approves 20 Percent Tax Incentive (hollywoodreporter.com) - June 17, 2013
- Michigan: Government Report Shows Film Jobs Stagnant Despite Incentives (michigancapitolconfidential.com) State has pledged approximately $400 million from taxpayers for little return - June 18, 2013
- BC film industry heads talking about how to lure productions (news1130.com) - June 18, 2013
How Did States Create Jobs? (June 14, 2013)Star Attraction States continue to dole out tax breaks to woo Hollywood producers despite criticism that such programs offer small returns:
- New York expanded its film tax credit to include live television shows, dubbed the “Jimmy Fallon tax credit,” to attract the new host of NBC’s “The Tonight Show” to relocate from California to the Big Apple.
- New Mexico made its film tax credit more generous under a measure known as “Breaking Bad” for the popular Albuquerque-based TV show.
- Maryland tripled the value of its film tax credit after it lured HBO’s “Veep” and Netflix’s “House of Cards” to the state.
- In Nevada, supporters of a film credit recruited Academy Award winner Nicholas Cage to lobby for them.